2021 marks 25 years since St Petrock’s first opened its doors. Sadly, homelessness remains a serious issue in our city – and following a year of global upheaval, the need for community involvement in assisting those affected is more urgent than ever before.
To mark the anniversary, St Petrock’s is running a 25 Year Anniversary Campaign to provide supporters with a range of simple steps that they can take to help people gain the extra support they need to move away from homelessness. Throughout the year, we’ll be inviting you to take part in 25 specific challenges to meet the needs of people who are homeless or vulnerably housed.
We’ll be sharing challenge prompts on social media throughout the year, but people are welcome to get started at any time. You can keep track and join in on social media via the hashtag: #stpetrocks25
“WATERING / NURTURING” CHALLENGES (July – September):
- Donate suncream (Factor 25+)
- Live on £25 for a week
- Get 25 people to sign Shelter’s petition to help improve access to rented accommodation (and/or write to your MP)
- Add 25lbs to your (daily) walk, in solidarity with people who have nowhere to leave their belongings
- Donate 25 good quality items of clothing to Petrock’s Place, our forthcoming outlet in Paris Street
- Say 25 hellos to Big Issue sellers
“SOWING” CHALLENGES (April – June):
- Use #stpetrocks25 on social media and like 25 of our posts
- Make one of Linda’s 25th anniversary recipes and share your photos
- Get sponsored to take part in a 25 hour / day technology / social media fast, & donate to client phone & internet access in StP’s centre
- Get your company to donate £25 to StP’s
- Buy 25 hot drinks over the year for a person without a home
- Talk to 25 people about the 25th anniversary challenges
“PREPARING THE GROUND” CHALLENGES (Jan – March):
Step Up 25 Miles
- Walk 25 miles
- Run 25 miles
- Cycle 25 miles
- Swim 25 miles (or metres – anyone getting in the sea / rivers at this time of year has earnt their sponsorship!)
- Skate 25 miles
- Cover 25 miles in the most original mode of transport you can find – or mix the above!
St Petrock’s Rough Sleeper Support Team walk approximately 25 miles every week, making daily contact with people on the streets.
Step up to join them by getting sponsored to cover 25miles at your own pace. The means of locomotion is optional: walking, running, stepping up, bicycling, abseiling, swimming, skating, scootering or a mixture! We will be profiling the person who comes up with the most original transport method!
CHALLENGE: StP’s Kitchen Recipes
Linda our kitchen manager will be sharing 25 of our client’s favourite meals over the course of the year. Food that brings warmth, comfort and a taste of ‘home’ always goes down a treat. We’ll be posting the recipes here. Give them a go, make a donation and send us / share a picture of your dish on social media (#stpetrocks25) – enjoy!